Sunday 5 August 2018

Long Facebook (FB) - Position Closed And Why 030818

So I blogged about taking a long position on FB just a few days ago.

You can read it here.

I also took a fairly large position using CFDs and that made the risk of holding the position very high. Firstly, on a 1:10 leverage, my losses would definitely exceed my base capital if FB continued to plummet. SEcondly, I was paying a very high cost of 3+%PA of CFD Financing. CFD Financing is the interest to be paid on the nominal value of the position when it is being held.

So I was holding a 500 FB share position with an average price of approximately USD$173. This meant that if I had to buy the actual stock, my investment commitment would have been $86,500. But using CFDs, I only needed a margin of $8,650 to open the position. CFD Financing worked out to about $10 per day, which is quite high.

As such, if I had, say, exactly $8,650 in my account (I'd be at 100% margin and Saxo risk management system would NEVER allow this without stopping me out), another 10% drop in FB stock price would simply wipe me out completely to $0.

Over the few days that I've held the stock, thankfully FB price went up. Eventually I closed it on Friday evening at a price of $178, earning about $5 X 500 = $2,500.

Not too shabby, but mainly to de-risk.

A good profit nonetheless!

HUAT AH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment