Wednesday 29 June 2016

The Disruption Of Product Pitching

A friend asked me recently why I've been in sales for so long and have been so successful, and yet have never been seen pushing my company's products or making a sales pitch to anyone before.

My answer was fairly simple and direct.

Firstly, I don't sell to friends or relatives something that I think they do not need, or are not suitable for. Neither do I sell when they do not specifically ask for it. And what I have to offer, is a very specific product.

Secondly, I pick and choose who I want to sell to. This means that in my world, if you're going to consume too much of my resources, generating negligible volume, then you're not worth my time. Even if you were a super rich individual. It is a firm matter of ROI to me, as with most things I do in business.

In this current world of FinTech and Disruptive Technology, therein lies the key to how financial sales have evolved over the last decade.

- Why are some of the largest consumer banks failing? 
- Why are they struggling to make money the conventional way anymore? 
- Why are they closing branches and cutting headcount while others are thriving?
- who are the ones thriving and why?

Answer these questions and you can unlock the potential of your business today, whichever field you might be in.

It is getting very apparent that the slowest companies to embrace technology bare the hardest hit. Those that fear change just cannot keep up with the times anymore.

Here are some simple notes that could help:

> No one trusts the banks anymore with investment advice
> No one wants to pay exorbitant fees for financial products anymore
> it is not easy to make money in financial products anymore due to regulation and deleveraging
> No one wants to buy something that they do not need, that costs a lot of money, anymore
> The rich do not want to buy things off the rack
> Selling a product now is more about selling a relationship rather than selling the benefits of the product



No comments:

Post a Comment